Monday, September 10, 2012

Evolution of Estamos Unidos 2012 Poster














































I was honored to create this limited edition lithograph in support of President Barack Obama available at Obama for America. As a Latino and father I have witnessed firsthand the power of education. In my work as a children's book illustrator I travel around the country working with kids and teachers to promote literacy and reading. President Obama supports early education programs for children and has doubled Pell Grants so working families can afford college. His bold actions to fix the broken immigration system and support of the Dream Act prove he is on our side.

Thanks to Christopher Dilts, official campaign photographer for the wonderful photo that inspired my painting and to Sean Bacon and Candice López for consulting with the type and layout. 

Update: The poster has sold out at the Obama store and thanks to all who purchased it in support of the re-election of our President. 

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I'd also love to see how you paint your layered backgrounds. Just gorgeous color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kieren
      I've got layered backgrounds on my list for future posts. Thanks for your feedback.

      Delete
  2. Wow-- beautiful and powerful-- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura
      Thanks for your kind words. I'm hoping we can all do our part to keep moving forward.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful work! I'm curious, in the wake of Shepard Fairey's troubles, whether you have sought to clear the rights to the photo?

    I should say that in my opinion, you do not need to pay or ask permission for this type of photo reference -- seems to me this would easily be covered by the "fair use" exception in copyright law. Still, I'm curious how you navigate this question.

    H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugh-Great question.
      Having worked on numerous portraits for the United States Postal Service I've learned to carefully use photo references without violating copyright.
      I selected this terrific photo from Christopher Dilts who is the Obama campaign's official photographer and cleared it with Josh Higgins the Creative Director for the campaign. Whenever I use a photo I extract certain information but also work hard to bring my own vision and emotion to that image. I tried to capture the determination and insightful leadership of the President.

      Delete