Saturday, December 24, 2016

New Year/ New Website and Blog

As a brand new year is almost here I'm looking forward to making a fresh start with a new website and blog. It's a chance to show my process and latest works in illustration, children's books and murals. Thanks for your support and for checking it out by clicking on the links below.
Rafael López Website
Rafael López Studio Blog

Exploring hidden beaches in Northern California



















As the year winds down I've been thinking about wandering. Last month our family drove up the Northern California coastline discovering hidden beaches and taking in the remarkable power of nature. When my son Santiago found this stretch of sand, he threw off his shoes and socks, crossed an inlet of thigh deep water and started running. I eventually caught up with him, took a deep breath and there was this moment. With his help I connect once again to that part of myself, and of others that really never changes, but sees the world with the wonder of a child.

This December I'm waking up before the sun rises, walking the quiet cobblestone streets of San Miguel de Allende for hours just looking. There is a restlessness that comes with trying to find direction for a new children's book. I'm working on two books this Winter so my mind jumps from one idea to the next. I've come to embrace this time, tune my instincts and simply wonder as I wander. I've discovered that creativity takes discipline as well as listening to the subtle nuances of your own inner voice. In the chaos of modern life you realize the importance of practicing solitude.


A solitary dream. I woke up and painted this Arctic Whale.

1 comment:

  1. First of all, congratulations on launching a new blog and website! I like the idea of getting up before the sun and just walking around. The city would be wonderfully quite and there would be no-one around. You could walk as slowly as you liked round the park and just watch the sun coming up and the world starting to wake up. Thanks for the great idea, I might try it.

    ReplyDelete